giving the world a peek into my kitchen...

Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Green Prawn Curry

I decided to cook Thai dishes just the other day. Made some green prawn curry, minced basil chicken and cucumber salad. I thought my green curry turned out well, but it wasn't spicy enough for me. I guess I was too cautious when adding in those chillies (that's also why the green curry is pale in color) Sigh! Anyway here's how I prepared it..



Ingredients:
Prawns
Kaffir lime leaves - 4
Fresh basil - 5
Coconut milk
Capsicum (cut into chunks) - 1
Green curry paste:
Thai green chillies - 4 (add more if you prefer your curry to be spicy)
Shallots - 1/2
Garlic - 4 cloves
Ginger (grated) - 3 tbsp
Lemongrass - 1 stalk
Ground coriander - 1/2 tsp
Ground cumin - 1/2 tsp
Shrimp paste - 1 tsp
Fresh coriander leaves (chopped) - 1 cup
Pepper - 1/2 tsp
Fish sauce - tbsp
Sugar - 1 tbsp
Lime juice - 2 tbsp

Place all the "green curry paste" ingredients together in a food processor and blend it into a paste. Set aside.
Cut the lime leaves into strips.
Heat the wok with some oil and add the green curry paste.
Stir-fry briefly till fragrant , then add 3/4 of the coconut milk, reserving 2-3 tbsp per serving portion for later.
When the curry sauce comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium, until you get a nice simmer.
Add prawn and cover. Allow to simmer 3-5 more minutes stirring occasionally.
Add capsicum and lime leaves.
Taste for salt, adding 1-2 tbsp fish sauce if not salty enough.
Serve this curry with some warm rice.

No comments: